Hunting and Fishing
The refuge is open to hunting and fishing during the appropriate Maine seasons
. Limited trapping is allowed if a refuge permit is obtained. The following regulations apply.
Hunting of Migratory Game Birds
Hunting of migratory game birds is permitted on designated areas of the refuge pursuant to State law.
Hunting is permitted on the refuge during the various Maine hunting seasons. Wearing brightly colored clothing or blaze orange is recommended in October and November, except for Sundays, when no hunting is allowed in Maine. The use or possession of alcoholic beverages while hunting is prohibited.
Upland Game Hunting
We allow hunting of upland game, on designated areas of the refuge, subject to the following conditions:
(1) Shotgun hunters may possess only approved non-toxic shot while in the field.
(2) We allow eastern coyote hunting from October 1 to March 31 annually.
(3) We allow hunters to enter the refuge ½ hour before legal shooting time and they must exit the refuge by ½ hour past legal shooting hours, except for hunters pursuing eastern coyotes at night.
Big Game Hunting
We allow hunting of black bear, bobcat, moose, and white-tailed deer on designated areas of the refuge in accordance with State regulations, subject to the following conditions:
(1) During firearms big game seasons, you must wear in a conspicuous manner on head, chest, and back a minimum of 400 square inches of solid-colored hunter-orange clothing or material.
(2) We allow hunters to enter the refuge ½ hour before legal shooting time and they must exit the refuge by ½ hour past legal shooting hours.
(3) We allow bear hunting from October 1 to the end of the State prescribed season. Hunters may not use bait during the hunting of bears.
(4) The use of nails, wire, screws, or bolts to attach a stand to a tree, or hunting from a tree into which a metal object has been driven to support a hunter is prohibited.
(5) Portable stands must be removed daily.
Sport Fishing Regulations
The refuge is open to sport fishing under State of Maine fishing regulations
. Lead-free sinkers are required for all fishing.
Areas open for fishing on the refuge include: Baker Brook, Little Birch Stream, Birch Stream, Buzzy Brook, Johnson Brook, Little Buzzy Brook, Dudley Brook, Sandy Stream, and Sunkhaze Stream. All waters of Carlton Pond WPA are also open to fishing.
Sunkhaze Stream offers good trout fishing and a local chapter of Trout Unlimited has been established using its name.
Friends of Sunkhaze Meadows National Wildlife Refuge.
PO Box 450. Milford ME 04461. email@example.com
Sunkhaze Meadows NWR is managed by the staff of Maine Coastal Islands NWR.
PO Box 1735. 9 Water St. Rockland ME 04841. (207)